Clever Fox Editing exists for one reason: to help good, hardworking writers with tight budgets publish quality books. Period.
What I Do
My focus is on structural (line) editing. I’m best when I’m taking a book that’s already been edited for content. I go through and make it flow, picking out the repetition, the word choices, and sentence structure that keeps a book from being its best. I automatically copyedit (proofread) as I go.
I also do copyedits (proofreading). If you want a developmental edit outside of a package deal, though, I’ll refer you to one of the amazing editors I’ve worked with in the past.
Other offerings include blurb writing, academic editing (English Literature), limited ghostwriting, and more.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? It never hurts to ask.
How Does This Work?
Since my specialty is working with writers who are new to the publishing process, I’m going to take this writing thing step-by-step from start to finish.
Do you already know what you’re doing and just want the facts? Go here.
Want to know when I have availability? Check here.
If you’d like to grow as a writer, follow my blog page. I’ll give tips, resources, and other helpful bits on a monthly basis.
Want to chat with me about a quote, the price of tea in China, or the literary merits of the Hero’s Quest versus the 12-Point Journey? See my contact page.
Fine Print (in Big Font)
- I don’t format. I happen to hate formatting my own books, so I’m not about to start doing it for others. Okay, maybe if you offered me a million dollars. At least then I could pay for someone to format my book.
- I don’t edit what I don’t read. This includes no erotica or romance that’s heavy on the sex, westerns, or bloody horror. I reserve the right to decline a job (prior to contract signing) for any reason.
- I do read comedy-romance, Christian romance, or even romance that keeps the sex scenes as beat points, not word fillers. If you’re not sure, ask. I’ll be happy to clarify.
- I do read western parodies or genre-blends (Firefly lives on forever).
- I read Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Edgar Allan Poe. If your horror keeps to that level of blood, guts and terror, we’re good.
- I believe a good contract makes for good business. The contract will detail payment, genre, word count, type of edit (and what that will specifically entail), as well as time frame. No contract, no editing. Sorry.
- I will immediately give notice if I need an extension. I will also give you a discount if the extension is on my end. I ask for the same courtesy from you.
- If you’re not sure, ask. I’ll be happy to answer.
That’s it. I’m a diverse reader and can appreciate The Night Circus, follow it up with the guilty pleasure of Top Secret Twenty-One, then toss in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. I even read (a lot of) non-fiction.